Are you looking to transform your house into a haven of energy efficiency and lower your electricity bills even before they spike? Then be happy in the knowledge that there are plenty of measures for you to implement in order to save energy. Given below are the top tips that you can follow to make your home energy efficient, have a look:
1) The foremost thing that you need to do is insulate your abode properly. You can achieve this goal by adding extra insulation to the attic, walls and ceilings with the help of weather stripping or caulking. Also, make sure that the windows and doors have appropriate sealing to stop air leaks & cold drafts during winter and prevent cool air from escaping in summer.Get in touch with a reputed building construction company in Cork, one that provides insulation inspection service, to make sure that your home is properly insulated.
2) Once you are done with insulation, shift your attention to the energy efficiency of your windows. If they are not energy star rated, they would do a great job in hiking your electricity bills. There are many reputed window manufacturers that offer ENERGY STAR rated PVC windows. In addition to buying them, you can also adopt several other useful measures like keeping the blinds open during the day to let in natural light, closing the windows when the AC or heater is on, etc.
3) While buying any kind of appliance, check it properly to see whether the product is ENERGY STAR certified or not. Use low-flow shower heads, washing machine and toilets for preventing wastage of water. Besides that, you must also learn to use the appliances efficiently. Study the manual for each carefully to become familiar with their suitable operating methods. When you are planning to go somewhere on a holiday, disconnect your appliances completely by unplugging them from the power sockets.
4) Opt for fluorescent bulbs and tubes instead of incandescent ones. The former last about 8 to 12 times longer than the latter.
5) Add solar panels either in the garden or on the roof of your house. Doing so would allow you to generate your own power, thereby reducing your energy costs.
6) Plant some deciduous trees outside your home in a way that makes them shade your abode from direct rays of the sun during summer. And in winter, when there will be no leaves on the trees, they would allow the sun to warm your house.
Thus, by following these tips, you can easily up the energy efficiency factor of your home.