Repairing rising damp is not a difficult task. There are many ways that professional damp cleaners follow to repair damps. In this blog, we will discuss how rising damp specialists can repair the rising damp that exists in the inside and outside walls of your property. Let’s start the discussion stepwise.
Step 1: Inspection
Before your rising damp specialist starts with the process of preventing it you need to inspect or check the affected areas of your wall. Check whether your house has a DPC or Damp Proof Course or not. You must also check the exterior walls, damaged drains, pipelines of your property. During the checking process, consider these following things:
- Check the outside area of your property and make sure that the surfaces are not carrying water to a higher level of DPC.
- Check the drainpipes, roofs, blocked gutter properly.
- Check whether there are enough air-bricks surrounding the walls of your property.
- Check whether your chimney, bathrooms, boilers, and kitchens well ventilated or not.
- Check whether the grouting is intact between your shower and bathroom or not.
Inspect all the pipework for any leaks.
Step 2: Creating a Damp Proof Barrier
Once the checking is completed, you must opt for a damp cleaning expert who can prevent your rising damps. Let’s discuss how they create a damp proof barrier professionally.
- Firstly, experts start removing all the surface contamination as well as a loose material.
- After that, they make holes in every intersection by using a cordless drilling machine. They drill the holes 15 cm above from the ground level.
- Once done, they start cleaning the holes with the help of a compressed dry air bowel.
- Now, they insert an injector cream into the drilled holes by using a simple inserting gun. This material starts diffusing within the damp wall and makes a water repellent barrier.
Step 3: Repairing damaged walls
After creating the DPB, professionals re-plaster the area internally as well as externally. To do this, they apply a special kind waterproofing agent to the walls.
Step 4: Redecoration
Once they re-plastered the wall, they start decorating the wall by using a preventative and very high-quality coating.
These are the most common steps that are followed by damp proofing specialists to prevent your rising damp. So, if you want to make sure that rising damp issue doesn’t happen to your walls then you must opt for waterproofing specialists as soon as possible.
It is crucial to treat the rising damp after recognizing them in order to avoid the damage and decrease the value of any property. It can result in health risks, like asthma and other health risks. Covering up the problem with special paints is not enough if someone is hoping the problem will vanish. In Sydney, prevent the rising damp completely by following the ideas which are mentioned below to avoid such risks.
The most widely applied process to achieve this is to inject water-repellent fluids into the wall under pressure. Though this method is effective enough, this process is known to have some disadvantages, such as it presents a large quantity of liquid carrier into the wall, lengthen the drying out period. This method is slow and depends on the operators.
The Dryzone System is fast, clean and effective
Dryzone is an entirely new material control of rising damp. It comes in a water-repellent cream form which is packed in a 600ml foil cartridge for reducing environmental impact. It is a simple applicator gun which has a series of holes drilled into the mortar course. After installing the Dryzone, it uses the moisture contained in the damp wall for spreading where it is needed the most.
An extensive in-house research and development program has created Dryzone. It includes the testing and screening of hundreds of potential expressions. These tests show that Dryzone provides higher protection against the rising damp than the chemical injection systems which is not allowed to apply these days.
Dryzone was designed in an environmentally friendly manner. It’s strengthened the formulation, which means that less product has to be carried to the point of work as minimal packaging means little wastage. This mainly includes silicones. These are obtained from quartz and are used to create a wide range of products. Dryzone is a water-based product and contains no hydrocarbon solvents.
When it comes to the interior building issues, damp is one of the most constant to deal with. Whether the buildings in Sydney is commercial or residential, it’s always better to prevent the rising damp than to treat, That is why taking care is necessary. Handle the rising damp with the help of the ideas which are mentioned above and keep your home and office safe from damp.
Rising damp is the process by which the water enters into the building and gets absorbed in the outer walls and floors of the house or building. So it is important to identify properly the underlying problem with the help of rising damp specialists properly to conduct a full rising damp survey and a complete treatment of the property.
How Rising Damps Affect Your Building?
Rising damp is a process where the groundwater is drawn towards the mortar of the building through capillary action. Buildings made up of bricks and sandstone is mostly affected. The water penetrates through the pores of the building structure and often brings along salts and other elements that contaminate the building decoration and materials.
Signs of Rising Damp
The signs showing a rise of damps are wet walls, cracks in the walls and chalky mortar, discoloration of the walls and damp smells, crumbling of blocks and bricks etc.
How to Stop the Rising Damp?
Modern buildings do have a proper damp proof course that act as a barrier against water penetration. So, it is important to conduct a regular maintenance check from time to time to prevent damp from becoming an alarming issue.
The Checks Include:
- Ensure that the pipes, roof, and gutters are free from debris.
- Repair the broken roof tiles, leaking pipes, defects around the doors and window frames.
- Keep the air vents free from obstruction
- Carry on a regular check to notice the signs of damps on the inner walls and skirting boards.
- Also, check the walls of furniture and curtains.
Rising Damp Solutions
Treating the rising damp is definitely a challenging task to be conducted independently. So it is important to seek professional guidance that is covered by a long-term guarantee for the future protection of the property. The range of solutions include
- Injecting to create a waterproof sheet to protect the walls from rising damp to penetrate inside.
- Injecting to seal the cracks of the walls and the bricks
- Negative pressure waterproofing membrane is applied to create an inner shield on the wall.
- Injecting in between the joint of the wall to prevent water from passing through the wall
- To prevent the vertical rise of water, the solution is injected through the slab floor to create a thick sheet of waterproofing.
So, it’s very important to conduct the rising damp treatment with the help of professional rising damps specialists, who can recommend specific treatment to treat your problem.